Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

End of the Season

 The end of the dahlia growing season has come again and boy am I bummed. My Mom got me into growing dahlias last year when she gave me many, many tubers to plant here at my house. I was hooked from the first bloom. 


I didn't dig up my tubers at the end of last season because I was tired. Cancer treatments are no joke and I had recently finished mine. Over the winter I ordered a few tubers and attended a cutting sale at our local greenhouse in the spring. Then Mom gave me a few mystery tubers that she had left over. 


This season started out slow with late planting due to wildfire smoke in the air and a vacation trip to visit family. I was really worried I wouldn't get many blooms at all, but then in July they started. They haven't quit since.


But that first killing frost is on its way. Maybe not this week, the forecast says it will be warm, but soon. Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that my tubers are healthy enough to survive the winter in our basement. Because this year, come hell or high water, I am digging those babies up.




















No comments: