Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Mobile of Pretty Little Birdies

For the baby's room I knew that I didn't want to use a traditional, store-bought mobile.  I wanted something different and I wanted to make it myself.  So, cruising around Pinterest, I found this mobile.


It was love at first sight. I immediately printed the pattern for the birds and got to work. They can actually be sewn by hand, but I used the chance to practice with my sewing machine. Some of the fabrics I used came from the remnant bin at Joann Fabrics, but others are vintage. After several weeks I had the birds all sewn and stuffed. The branches I spray-painted gray because I wanted them to stand out a little more against the wood beams in the room.

I love it!!!  The best part is that my daughter loves it too.  She'll be five months old in a couple of days and she is STILL fascinated by it.
I had to glue my branches together a bit because I had a terrible time with the physics of getting it hang properly.  I'll blame pregnancy brain for that, but the truth is I'm not sure I could do it without glue even now!!  

I'll be sharing this at  Photobucket


Post a Comment