Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pinterest Inspired Ombre Dresser!!!

Well over a year ago I brought home this dresser from my parents' house.  It had been sitting in their storage area for many, many moons and they were going to get rid of it.  No way!  I brought it home and it proceeded to sit in my work room.  And sit in my work room.  And sit in my work room.  
Me getting pregnant is THE best thing that could have ever happened to this dresser.  I decided it would go in the baby's room, but first it needed work!!!  I found an awesome dresser on Pinterest that inspired me to go with an ombre paint job.  Problem?  I'd never redone a piece of furniture before, so I googled some tutorials.  The one that worked best for me is from Centsational Girl.  She gives TONS of great tips and shows you exactly what products she uses.  


To get started I sanded and then primed everything with Zinsser Cover Stain oil-based primer.  Holy moly that stuff is awesome.  I actually said to the hubs while I was painting "Let's paint ALL of the furniture!"
After more sanding, priming, and sanding again, I got to work on the colors.  This part was so much fun for me. 
I also spray-painted the original hardware and added a vintage glass knob to the top drawer.  Here's the end result.
And here's a sneak peek of what it looks like in the baby's room....(ignore the terrible lighting)
It was so much fun to do, and it turned out so well, that I decided to do the same type of thing with a dresser from my grandmother's house.  
 It's old and needs a lot of work!!!  Good thing I have my trusty sander!
Check back soon for a post about this dresser!!  It's almost finished, but not quite yet.  What do you think about the yellow dresser?  Cool?  Lame?  I love it, so I guess that's really all that matters right now!

Post a Comment