Monday, June 13, 2011

Summertime Equals DRUM CORPS!!!

Who out there has heard of Drum & Bugle Corps??  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller??  I'm not going to launch into a description of what drum corps is because it would take me DAYS to explain it all to you.  Instead, I'm going to show you pictures and videos of some drum corps stuff.  But first you should know that I am a huge geek.  My family has been involved in drum corps in some way since before I was born.  There are pictures of me AT drum corps practices and shows as a baby.
 
I marched a few years in a Division III corps called Spectrum from upstate NY.  Division III corps were small!  The class system changed sometime in the past few years, so I'm not sure what the current class would be.  I spent two years playing soprano, two years playing mellophone, and my last two years in the colorguard.  I made that switch because in the winter I marched winterguard (I'll save THAT for another post) and I guess I was enjoying it more than being in the hornline.  Plus, if you were in the guard, you got to look kind of sexy.
That's me during my final year with Spectrum.  Sexy right?  Those were the days.  My younger sisters, Kira and Jessi, spent some time marching with the Bluecoats from Canton, OH.  Kira marched two seasons and Jessi marched one.  I wanted to show you a video, but I can't find one!!  I found one 42 second clip, but that does no justice to the show whatsoever.  So instead, I'll show you a video of the Coats playing their Corps song "Autumn Leaves" because Kira will appreciate it.




Here's one of my favorite shows of all time.  It's from the Madison Scouts 1995 season.


The Scouts are an all-male corps.  Sexy Sexy.  They've always been one of my favorites because they try to please their fans.  Shawna likey.

Still don't understand what drum corps is all about?  Check out these very snarky, funny videos.  They'll tell you a little more. 






If you get a chance this summer, go check out a drum corps show. It's great entertainment and the kids could use the support.  They really bust their humps out there.  For a complete show schedule, check out the Drum Corps International (DCI) homepage.

Before I go, I want to thank Stephanie from Luxe Boulevard for giving me the idea to do a video post today.  Go check out her blog.  She's funny, sweet, and super talented!!
Post a Comment