Saturday, April 9, 2011

Barn Drawer #2!

First I have to say that this drawer was a lot more work than the last one, but it was definitely worth it!  Here's what it looked like when I got it out of the barn and cleaned it off.  I should have taken the picture BEFORE I cleaned it off, but I forgot.
The bottom is particle board , but the other sides are all nice solid wood.  I took the handle off and banged the lock out.  Then I pried the metal piece off the front.
That part took me quite awhile.  The lock was tricky, but I managed to force it out.  Then I sanded everything down and sprayed it with a few coats of white Krylon primer.
I knew I wanted to paint it a robin's egg blue color, but I didn't have any.  So I mixed my own using a Valspar paint sample and some paint we had leftover from painting our kitchen.
It's pretty close.  Even with coating the drawer with primer, I still had to do two coats to the whole drawer.
Then I sanded it down to give it a more distressed look.  This part was waaaay tougher than it was on the other drawer.  I guess because I primered it first.
Then I glazed it up with some Valspar clear glaze mixed with black paint.  I didn't get a good picture of this step because I forgot.
I left the inside of the yellow drawer alone because you could see the wood grain through the paint and I loved that.  Because this drawer had an uninteresting bottom, I decided to add some butterflies.  I cut the butterflies out of two pieces of scrapbooking paper and scanned them into my computer.  Then I flipped them so I'd have some to put on each side.  After I printed them and cut them out, I used Modge Podge to glue them on.  Then I coated the bottom with 2 more coats of Modge Podge to seal it.
I spray painted the handle assembly silver with Krylon paint and put that back on.  Here's the finished product.
It was tough to get the whole thing in the picture!!
This is going in my craft room on my metal rack.
This picture's wicked cool.
So what do you think?  Do you like it??


I'll be linking this project up to the link parties in my sidebar.  Don't forget to enter my giveaway!!  It's going on until the end of the day Sunday April 10th!!

Featured on


Entered at



Post a Comment