Saturday, February 19, 2011

First EVER Sewing Project

It's winter, I'm frozen.  Usually I will make a heating pack using a wet towel, ziploc bag, and the microwave.  It works, but I decided to try to sew one of my own out of fabric...using my sewing machine!  What what??  I've had my machine for about 6 years now, the hubs bought it for me for my birthday one year.  I used it a little, but the clutter in our small apartment made it tough for me to want to learn to use it.  A couple months ago I asked my Mom to teach me some stuff on it, but when we got started we found out the backstitch button was busted.  So....it had to be repaired and serviced.  Now though, I got it back and today I broke it out to make myself a stinking heating pack so my feet aren't popsicles when the hubs (human furnace) isn't around.  For my fabric I used a bedskirt that my parents bought me in college.  I won't tell you how long ago that was, but suffice it to say that the thing is pretty close to vintage status now.  For the inside bag I used the white fabric in the middle and then stuff it with rice.  Here's how that turned out:
Doesn't look too bad, does it??  I was proud when I got that done.  Check out my seam at the end though, not so pretty.
Once that was all done I made the case.  I would have liked to make it into a belted pack, but I have to work tonight.  Time is of the essence here people.
Of course I added some rosettes because, well, it's for me and I wanted them.  Ignore the seam on the pillowcase, it is not pretty.  Here's the finished product:
To keep me on track, I used Lelanie's belted pack tutorial at To Sew With Love.  Check it out, hers turned out oodles better than mine.  That woman's got skills.  Speaking of To Sew With Love, don't forget to check out the giveaway they are hosting for my etsy shop!!!
Post a Comment