Thursday, January 6, 2011

Operation Organization--The Kitchen Chronicles

We live in the house my husband grew up in, and it's old.  My father-in-law did a lot of work to the house before the moved here waaay back before my husband was around.  He built the cabinets in the kitchen himself, and we love them.  However, we need a ton of work done in this room.  The old vinyl tile flooring is cracking apart, so that's one project on the books for this year.  Also, I'll freely admit it, I don't clean nearly as often as I should.  I'd just rather be doing something else!!  That being said, I've gotten some stuff DONE this week.  It started with my junk drawer re-org on Sunday and has spread to cupboards and drawers alike.  Yesterday I started on this cupboard:
 There was crap in there that I don't even remember owning!  I took it all out, and here's the result:
I threw/donated so much stuff away that I was able to my roasters and stock pot off the top of the fridge!!  Hallelujah!!  After this success I was riding pretty high so I decided to tackle this cupboard:
Pretty bad, right?  There was stuff in there from when my husband was growing up!  In my defense, we didn't have garbage service when we first moved in to the house, and there was no WAY I was burning chemicals like that!  So here's the cupboard now:
SO much better.  This project generated one and a half large garbage bags of trash.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but oh well, those are the facts.  When I finished with this one I crashed out for a few hours before going to work.  This morning, upon my return home, I got right back into it.  I started with this drawer:
And ended up with this:




The re-organization of these two drawers led me to finish up the other drawers below the junk drawer.  I didn't take before pictures of them because, well, to be honest, I'm ashamed.  So here they are:


And yes, those are mousetraps in two of the drawers.  Despite having THREE fantastic mousing cats, we still have problems with mice.  Can you believe that?  Well, these two
 (Roland--named after Roland Deschain, "The Gunslinger", despite being a girl)
 (Kafka--named after the author, clearly)
catch mice, chipmunks, birds, and moles all the time outside, but REFUSE to put their skills to use in the house.  This guy
(Dudley)
just recently came to us from my parents' house where he caught anything he could.  I've yet to see him work that magic here.
Wow, okay, so I digressed completely from the point of this entry.  Oh well, that's the risk you run when it comes to me.  Tomorrow I hope to do more organizing.  The cleaning/throwing things away bug has definitely bit me.  Yeah!  That actually makes me happy.
 

 
Post a Comment