Monday, January 3, 2011

Epic Bird Jar Failure

Last week I had my first project failure in a long, long time.  When I got this jar, and the bird, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

My plan was to spray paint the jar white and then draw swirls on with a paint pen.  The bird I planned to spray paint black and attach to the top.  Unfortunately, patience is not a virtue that I possess when it comes to waiting for paint to dry.  The first round of painting got sloppy because I didn't do it in multiple light coats, I did just 2 heavy coats.  Obviously, it ran.  So I ended up sanding it down and repainting it.  This time I did alright, things seemed to be looking up.  Except I got hot glue on the bird and that chipped the paint off.  So I had to repaint THAT.  The extra paint made it look all webby, but I kind of liked it.  After the swirls were drawn on, it looked great.  I decided it needed a coat of acrylic sealer to keep the paint from chipping. 

This was the biggest mistake. 




I used an acrylic gloss sealer because I wanted it to be shiny.  Unfortunately it made webs appear all over the jar and the paint on the bottom is cracked now.

It does look kind of cool, but I was really hoping for a more polished look.  Ah well, this is the first failure I've had in a while.  It's good for the ego, I guess.
Post a Comment