Thursday, November 25, 2010

Squinkie Soap Success!!

When I saw the tutorial for making Squinkie Soaps on Closet Crafter last month I knew I had to give it a try.  My nieces LOVE Squinkies, and this will be a fun, and useful, Christmas present for them.  I've never tried making soap before, so this project I actually had to spend some money on.  It's Christmas, they're my nieces, it's worth it.  The soap making supplies themselves were easy to find.  I got the soap at A.C. Moore with one of those great 40% off coupons ($7.19) and also got some orange scent to make the soap smell good ($2.68).  The mold, on the other hand, was a pain in the a**.  In the tutorial, the soaps are made in an ice ball tray.  Yeah, an ice "cube" tray that makes balls.  Do you think I could find one of those around here?  In November??  Yeah, you're right, I couldn't.  Soooo, I had to substitute.  I found a silicone Wilton Brownie Pop mold ($7, I think) that looked big enough to use. Phew!  Crisis averted!!  I ended up putting 2 Squinkies ($9.99 for a package of 16) in each soap. 


There are lots of little bubbles in the soaps.  I'm sure there are ways to prevent, or at least reduce, that, but it will take more research to find out what they are.  There's only one small problem...


The shape is a little, um, suggestive.  Or maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.  My nieces are young, they won't have an issue with it, but I'm sure the adults in the fam will get a good laugh. 

I'll be linking this up to the parties on the right, except Brag Monday.  For once I did a project that didn't involve an image from *The Graphics Fairy*!!  I want to share the hilarity.
Post a Comment