Thursday, November 25, 2010

Book Wreath Love

Book wreaths are everywhere right now.  They're in magazines, on TV, and all over the internet.  I'm not sure HOW I missed them for so long.  I love the way they look and that they're made from old books.  A couple weeks ago I decided that I wanted to try making one, so I googled it.  JFGI you know.  The very first listing was for a fantastic tutorial by Lindsay at Living With Lindsay
We have TONS of old books laying around, so that wasn't a problem.  In my stash I found a wreath form and some paints for the page edges.  I chose red and gold because I was in a Christmas kind of mood.  (Actually I originally chose red & some silver glitter paint by Plaid BUT I didn't read the tutorial very well the first time around.  You should definitely put the paint on with a paper towel or cloth rather than a paintbrush.  The bristles allow the paint to get in between the pages and then they stick together.)

Here's a picture of my wreath almost done:

My table is cluttered.  Too many "in progress" projects at once.  After I got all the pages attached I decided to add something to the center to make it more interesting.  I printed a vintage Santa Claus graphic from *The Graphics Fairy* and cut it out.  Then I attached it to some cardboard that I'd sprayed with gold Smooch Spritz, and outlined Santa's head with iridescent stickles.  After I got that hot glued to the back of the wreath, I glued a red and gold ribbon, also from my stash, around the inside.  More of the same ribbon was used on the back as a hanger.  Here's the finished product:



I'll be linking this bad boy up to the linking parties this week for sure.
Post a Comment