Sunday, November 28, 2010

Birdhouse Ornaments with Tutorial!!

 
Every Christmas season the women in my family get together for a Christmas Tea Party.  We all bring a gift that gets auctioned off.  Then, all the money we raise goes to a charity (it's a different one every year).  Last year I decided that instead of buying a gift, I would make mine.  It turned out so well, that I've decided to make more and share my process with you.  

You'll need:
Wooden birdhouse (one of those little $1 ones)
Paint (whatever color you want)
Stamps
Embossing Powder & Heat gun
Coordinating paper (for the wings) & ribbon (for the hanger)
Decorative Brads (the kind for re-upholstering furniture)
Cardboard
Stickles
Glossy Accents by Ranger
Heart Charm
Adhesive (I used Modge Podge & E6000)




You start out with one of those little wooden birdhouses.  Paint it.
For this ornament I went with a mixture of metallic silver and purple plum.  Then I coated it with a couple layers of the new Plaid Extreme Glitter paint (LOVE that stuff).
Once your paint is dry, you can start embellishing the house.  I used Swirls v:1 clear stamps from Autumn Leaves and stamped the house in a bunch of places with a lighter purple paint.  Immediately after stamping I coated the wet paint with Lavender Zing embossing powder.  Once I was done stamping/coating, I used my heat gun to melt the powder.
Then I got started on the wings.  I used an angel wings svg file, from My Cricut Scrapbooking, and my SCAL software to cut the wings out with my Cricut Expression.  I then traced the wings on some cardboard and cut those out by hand.
The cardboard I painted with the Metallic Silver paint by Plaid.  Once both sides were painted, and dry, I Modge Podged the paper wings to the cardboard and let THAT dry.
At this point I used iridescent Stickles to fill in the silver spots on the wings.  When that I was dry, Glossy Accents by Ranger was applied over the Stickles to give it more dimension.
While I waited for THAT to dry (there's a lot of waiting in this project), I attached the ribbon hanger.  Decorative brads (for re-upholstering furniture) were used to attach it, and this time around I even hot glued the ribbon first.
This morning when the wings were dry, I used some E6000 to attach them to the house with a heart between them to finish it off.
 
Something I realized today when I was taking pictures outside--Definitely try to get some paint INSIDE the birdhouse.  It's not terribly obvious just looking at it, but once you start taking pictures, WOW it stands out like a sore thumb.
 

The finished product.  Isn't she pretty??


The whole process sounds a LOT more complicated than it really is, and there are probably shortcuts out there.  But this is the way I did mine.  So if you try it, let me know!!!  I'd love to see pictures and hear about your experience.  This is my first time writing a tutorial, so DEFINITELY let me know how you did. 



UndertheTableandDreaming
Post a Comment